Thursday, June 28, 2007

Age of Viability Reached...

I am now 24 weeks (6 months!!!) pregnant. Actually, according to my doctor, I was 24 weeks pregnant a couple days ago. We had a doctor's appointment yesterday and she reviewed the stats from our 22 week ultrasound. She said the baby was measuring 2 days ahead (already a little over-achiever, like his parents!) However, unless the baby is measuring a week behind or ahead, the official estimated due date is not changed.

24 weeks is the standard "age of viability," which is the earliest a baby can survive if born early. Some babies have survived after being born as early as 21-22 weeks, but 24 weeks is when more than 50% of babies born at this time will survive (with intensive neonatal care). At 25 weeks, approximately 70% will survive and at 26 weeks, this figure jumps to 90%. Almost all babies born at 30 weeks will survive (once again, with specialized hospital care).

I should mention there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to think I will go into labor this early and it is not something I worry about (honestly!!!) I just find it incredible that babies who weigh merely a pound can survive - aren't we lucky to live in this day and age with our outstanding medical technology? I might be interested in going into neonatal nursing so I am trying to use this pregnancy as an excuse to further educate myself on all things fetal.

However, before I become a nurse I need to ace Microbiology so back to studying...

2 comments:

Y chromosome provider said...

You know, my dad's doctoral thesis was on infant mortality; I hope your stats are right.

Anonymous said...

They look good to me. Mind you the data I used in my thesis was from 1966-68 so what do I know! That was a time when medical aid mostly consisted of strong rope and a continuous supply of boiling water.