Sunday, October 21, 2007

Labor & Delivery

Okay, I think I finally have the energy and desire to write about my labor and Dorian’s birth. I have been in a state of bliss since Tuesday night and the last thing I felt like doing was sitting at a computer for an extended period of time. Strange, considering I am usually an internet addict! My baby has changed my life already in so many random ways (in addition to all the stereotypical ones of course). More on this over the next couple days. Back to today’s blog…

This blog is going to be extremely long and probably boring for a lot of you – it is a run down of my entire labor experience. Many of you probably don’t need/want to read this. This blog is for those people who have asked for all the gory details. Be warned: I don’t have the energy to reread it and make it flow more, so please forgive the poor format and possible grammatical errors.

After experiencing early labor symptoms off and on for days, they seemed to increase a bit on Monday night. I wasn’t convinced it was labor yet though, as I had been experiencing “false” symptoms for over a week. Many women experience prodromal labor (“false” labor) before going into real labor. James and I went for a long walk on Monday and by Monday night, I had lost quite a bit more mucus and was experiencing mild (and still very irregular) contractions. These felt more like minor menstrual cramps than anything else. Tuesday morning, James and I went for another long walk. We returned around 12:30pm, had lunch and I lay down for a nap. 5 minutes after lying down, I felt a “pop” in my abdomen. I stood up and immediately felt fluid literally gush out of me! Only 10% of pregnant women have their water break on their own in the early stages of labor, so I was kind of surprised! I was not expecting to be in that 10%. It was an amazing feeling though because I knew that my Dorian would be with me within 24 hours! Chance of infection is much higher once a woman’s water has broken, so even if a woman does not go into labor on her own, doctors will induce labor to get the baby out within 24 hours. Of course, I didn’t need any induction. About 5 minutes after my water had broken at 1:15pm, I experienced a contraction that was much stronger than any I had previously felt and it had an obvious start and stop time with a swell in the middle. 5 minutes later, I had another one. We called my doctor, who told us to head to the hospital. We excitedly took showers, finished packing our bags, made some phone calls, posted a brief blog, and took off!

Upon arriving at the hospital (Alta Bates in Berkeley) around 2:30pm, I was sent to an assessment area where my vital signs were taken and I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and a contraction monitor. Baby’s heart rate was fine, as were my vital signs. The doctor said I needed to stay at the hospital (some women are sent home for the early stages of labor) as I was already in active labor! So off we went to the birthing room. By the time we got to the room, my contractions were already much stronger and I began feeling slightly uncomfortable. It was hard to talk through them and I very much felt like I needed to vomit. There were loads of forms to sign and procedures to go over, and we probably took 4 times as long on them because we had to keep stopping when I had a contraction. My labor progressed much quicker than many women’s labors, especially those of other first time moms. Dorian was ready to see us! Once we completed all the paperwork, I felt a lot more relaxed because I could concentrate on what was happening within my body. Both James and my mother were there to assist me and they were wonderful in keeping me focused on my breathing. My nurse was incredible. She had to keep checking the baby’s heart rate and my vitals, and didn’t flinch when I kept grabbing her arm as a contraction began. Everyone on my birthing team supported me in my desire for a natural childbirth…James helped me with my hypnobirthing techniques and this helped me to relax even more. I was doing fine until about 60-70% of the way through labor. My contractions seemed to be violently coming at me from my back and front and I could barely breathe through them, even with the breathing techniques. The doctor came in and said I needed to be hooked up to an IV and have an oxygen mask on because the contractions were causing the baby’s heart rate to drop. Not dangerously low yet, but enough that they were concerned. Around about this time as well, I shouted out “F*ck my birth plan, give me drugs!” It was pretty intense and because I knew labor would still continue for a few more hours, I knew I needed something. I was given a dose of Fentanol and was assured it would not harm the baby. It did not take the pain away, but it did take the edge off it for about an hour or so. Probably just the right amount to let me relax and breathe properly for an hour before the finale came. As the contractions became stronger and quicker, the medication seemed to wear off and I was so uncomfortable again. At this point, I had been checked over by the doctor and was very close to the finish! They were unable to give me any more painkillers because painkillers given close to the end of labor can affect the baby. I began experiencing an unbearable need to push…it was unreal. I couldn’t have stopped pushing if I tried. The doctor and several more nurses came in and I kept pushing and pushing. The pushing did not hurt so much as the contractions that came with the pushing. I kept breathing and breathing and trying to remain focused on Dorian. I probably broke James’ fingers from gripping them so hard. I lost all sense of time and felt like it was an out of body experience. I know I was making the weirdest noises ever and felt my whole body shaking and going into spasms. At one point, the doctor had me look down and I could see the baby’s head! A few minutes later, I gave one last push and the next thing I knew I had a baby up on my belly. The nurses quickly covered him with heated blankets and a hat and I was free to hold my Dorian for as long as I wanted. He cried for about 15 seconds and then I just heard him breathing heavily.

I remember feeling very out of it and not quite being able to focus on anything. I was in utter amazement that labor was over. It seemed to drag on for hours and yet in some ways, it felt so short. I could not make head or tail of it. The doctor spent quite a long time “down there” after delivery. I had several external tears, which is quite common. Uncommonly, I also had several internal tears. He had to sew each one up very carefully so while I cuddled Dorian, I got stitched up. After this was done, the nurse helped me breastfeed Dorian for the first time. After doing this, I passed him off to James for a cuddle. My dad showed up about this time and cooed over the baby too. I tried using the restroom (I was desperate to pee) but could not go. It was the weirdest sensation. The nurse put a catheter in me and it turns out my bladder was distended – 3 times the normal full bladder size. It made it impossible to urinate. I had sipped water throughout labor and was given fluids through an IV, but had not used the restroom very much during labor. I was assured I would be able to urinate after it was emptied with the catheter. Another nurse came in and bathed the baby with James. She gave the baby his Vitamin K shot and took his weight and measurements. Dorian was 7lb11oz and 21.65in long. The baby was then handed back to me, James packed up our room, and I got situated in a wheelchair with Dorian in my arms. We were taken to our postpartum room, where we spent the next 2 days recovering.

The room was the best room in the hospital I swear – private and with amazing views. Thank you, Mom! (She is a manager at the hospital.) I was checked over again, as was Dorian. I was given ice water and a sandwich and then tried to go to sleep. I was so wired, I barely slept. Dorian and I were also checked by a nurse every 2 hours and I was assisted again with breastfeeding. This routine carried on through Thursday at 5:30pm when we left the hospital. We had my doctor, the pediatrician and various other people (birth certificate rep, lactation consultant, hearing test administrators, nurses, etc) visit us each day. My brother, uncle, grandma and tons of Mom’s nurse friends also visited. So did Lief and Patricia, James’ band mate and his wife (who is also my hypnotherapist). James and I were ready to leave by Thursday evening. I was in a lot of discomfort (and still am today as my stitches heal and vaginal area recovers) but ready to begin our real life with Dorian. We went home and he fell right asleep.

While my labor didn’t go exactly as planned (due to taking painkillers), I could not be happier about the whole experience. I figure, my body and baby obviously needed them. Things change. I am learning this with having a baby – you need to be flexible! I am amazed at how short my labor was (compared to many labors) - 8.5 hours is not too shabby! James was absolutely wonderful throughout the whole labor experience, as well as now with my recovery and being a doting dad. Baby pictures and more updates tomorrow. I need a nap after this long novel!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing, I am in awe!!

Momily said...

Isn't it cathartic just to write about it? Wow, what a ride!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!!!! I was away from the "real world" in Disneyland and the last blog I saw was that your water had broken!!!!

Congratulations and I'm so happy for you all that things went well. Reading all of that brought back sooooo many memories of labor and delivery for me. I wasn't lucky enough to have it occur naturally, but the actual delivery...yeah...memories...

He's adorable and it's wonderful you have so many family members around. (four generations! that's incredible!!!)

Can't wait to meet little Dorian :-) Take care of yourselves {hugs}
Astrea

Anonymous said...

Amazing Kel, When I had mine the midwives left the notes at home with me and I just Loved reading them and reliving the whole thing (in a bizarre kind of way). Hearing about Dorians birth has brought it all back. I'm even sitting sideways in my chair remembering how I couldn't sit down for a few days!
Well done guys.

xxxxoooo

Rachel Odes (SFSU) said...

Congratulations Kelly! I couldn't be happier for you. And I liked reading your story, you narrate very well. Best of luck with all the new experiences.

cinder said...

All the 'gorey details' just remind one to appreciate that inner strength and the miracles we receive.....thank you for sharing-Cyber Baby indeed-simply awesome!

Anonymous said...

Kel, that was amazing.......thanks so much for taking the time to write about your experiences! What a great birthing team. Well done, everyone!