Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Music Critic

Dorian loves music. My father and James both play the guitar and mandolin to him and Dori becomes absolutely mesmerized. Sometimes he tries to help them play; other times he just sits back and listens for long stretches of time. James gave Dorian a cheap mandolin to play around with in his playroom. It sits on the floor by his Casio keyboard, toy piano, bongo drum, toy drums, recorder, train whistle, shakers, tambourines, Bose stereo, CD collection and songbooks. Yes, Dorian is probably the most spoiled boy in Oakland and will most likely end up becoming a musician.

James was out of town this week-end. Sunday morning, Dorian dragged the mandolin across the floor to me and shoved it into my lap. He obviously wanted me to play for him. I can not play stringed instruments. James tried to teach me guitar a couple times, but it hurt my delicate, lady-like fingers too much and I decided I'd rather have soft hands than play guitar. So I gave up. Anyway, I didn't think Dorian would care. I picked up the mandolin and started strumming away. He was NOT happy. He kept making his "UNH, MMMMMMM" sounds (he makes these whenever he really wants something, like food we are eating, a story read, etc). I kept trying to play and he kept making his noises, hitting my knee, and eventually throwing a temper-tantrum! It was the funniest thing ever!!!!! Luckily, Grandpa was home that day and played for him. Thank goodness. I hate to deprive Dorian of anything he wants.

3 comments:

Momily said...

I assume that Grandpa's playing soothed him?

Kelly said...

But of course. Dorian sure loves his Grandpa.

Unknown said...

LMAO- that's hysterical!! He's a musical prodigy!