Sunday, August 5, 2007

When is the baby shower?

In a word: Never.

I have had so many people ask me when our baby shower will be that I thought it was time to address this issue on the blog. I do not believe in baby showers. I have been to too many showers that were all about the presents. You are supposed to be welcoming a new life into this world, not greedily trying to get as many presents as you can from your acquaintances. I have been invited to the baby showers of people who had all but fallen from my memory, only to receive invitations to their baby showers. Now, I do not mean to attack those of you who have had/plan to have baby showers. I think they can be great celebrations of life if done tastefully. I have no problem going to them and giving gifts to the future babies of dear friends and family. I just don't believe in them for me. I am lucky my husband feels the same way. We didn't have a wedding registry for the same reason. In my opinion, there's nothing tackier than getting an invite to a wedding (or not even getting the invite!), in addition to a long laundry list of what you are supposed to purchase for the bride and groom. And you can be sure Dorian's birthday parties will be all about playing games and being outside and having fun. My kid will have a serious talk if he becomes all about the "Gimme, gimme, gimme" at his birthday party.

I love presents as much as the next person, but I believe they should be given because the gift-giver genuinely wants to give them, not because they are expected (or even required!) to. Please don't hate me for my convictions, just accept them as more Kelly-quirks. Thank you to all of you who have expressed interest in coming to a baby shower for Dorian (and looking horrified when I explain why there will not be one). I don't mean to seem ungrateful. I am so lucky to have people who care about my family and want to celebrate this amazing experience with us. I hope all of you will come see Dorian after he is born. That's what it is all about, isn't it? Dorian will know he is loved through the arms that hold him, the smiling eyes of the people who look at him, and the time spent with him.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I guess this post shut everyone up! :)