Friday, August 10, 2007

General blabber

Not much to report here, but thought I'd check in and bore you all with the minute details of my life anyway. No pictures for you because the photographer is on an East Coast tour. He will be returning toward the middle of next week. YAY! James is doing great, having a blast on tour. Dorian and I are doing great too, though missing James a bit now. I feel like every day I wake up and I am bigger. Seriously. I have put on 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks and my belly feels very tight. It's hard to explain if you haven't been pregnant before. It feels like my abdomen is getting stretched, which I guess is exactly what is happening! Dorian's movements have lessened, but I am told this normal, due to the fact that he is so much bigger now. He is estimated to be just over 3 pounds, or almost half what his birth weight will be. He is a happy baby already, moving when he hears my voice and especially when I talk to James on the phone.

Now that summer school is over, I have completely finished my nursing prerequisites. The next step will be to apply to nursing school, but unfortunately, applications for Fall 2008 are not available until October-March. It will give me something to do in between feedings and naps, I suppose! I am working 3 full days a week at the accounting firm in Half Moon Bay. I couldn't do more than that due to the brutal commute. Luckily, my bosses have been so flexible with my schedule ever since I told them I wanted to be a nurse last year. I am so incredibly thankful to have landed this job. I will definitely be working this schedule through the end of September. The doctor will reassess me then. I hope to keep working up until the baby is born, though the commute to Half Moon Bay may not be feasible.

I had a great experience this week on BART (the subway). First of all, let me say how shocked I am that people don't get up for pregnant women in the Bay Area!!! Maybe 50% of the time I get offered a seat, but definitely 50% of the time I don't. Maybe when I am so big I am toppling over, more people with offer them to me? It's pretty horrifying to me because I ALWAYS offer my seat to the elderly, disabled, young children and pregnant women. I don't mind so much for me because I am feeling healthy and doing okay so far, but it's the principle! On Tuesday, the train was packed and I had to stand. On Wednesday, it was the same thing for the first few minutes. Then, all of a sudden, I heard this woman yell "Get up! Give the pregnant woman a seat!" I looked up and saw this woman standing over a man who was sitting down with headphones on his ears and using a laptop. Everyone on the train turned to stare! The man looked really embarrassed and quickly got up. The woman then told me to sit down. I was pretty embarrassed too, but her heart was obviously in the right place.

Our house is looking good. Dad is on to painting the third room, and the contractor will be starting the (minor) building work soon. I am going through all our junk and throwing things out like crazy! It is amazing to me that we have accumulated this much stuff in 3 years. I absolutely can not stand clutter, so I am actually having a wonderful time getting rid of things we do not need. James and I have decided to get rid of our TV. We NEVER watch it. The only things we ever watch are movies on our laptops, or downloaded programs. We are following in my parents' footsteps. As a child, I never watched TV. Mom and Dad did not think it was good for us so they kept their TV set locked in the attic. It wasn't until I was an adolescent that we finally got a TV with a VCR so we could watch films. I definitely think not watching TV as a child helped me focus on my education and forced me to find other ways to spend my time.

Anyway, I need to go for a power walk as it has been a few days (with work and all). I hope everyone is having a great summer. Food for thought: I am 31 weeks pregnant. 37 weeks is considered full-term (though estimated due dates are always at the 40 week mark). Dorian could feasibly be here, 100% healthy and ready to take home from the hospital, in 6 weeks! CRAZY!!!!! We're going to be parents in 6-11 weeks, however you look at it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel, sorry to have missed your birthday. At least your not one for asking for pressies right? ; )
That pelvic/hip pain can be really troublesome can't it?! I had days when I could hardly walk, then days when I hardly noticed it. For sleeping I found a pillow between my knees helped. You look great in the photos babe! I can't believe how quickly it's gone - for us anyway. You're nearly there. . . It's so exciting! xxxx

Anonymous said...

This is the only way I've found to reach CrockMama (apologies for this comment not being relevant to this blogspot)... I read a comment you wrote on the "ransomedoff" blogspot, and I'm the Great-Aunt Savi of little Mather Ransom.... I noticed you like "any book by Bill Bryson." And hey, I went to school with Bill Bryson's older sister, Betty. And he IS funny, hey! And his memoirs book on growing up in Iowa is just about spot-on describing the childhoods of Mather's Grandfather David, me, and Great-Aunt Guin. The one "glaring" error is: the shoemaker on Ingersoll was NOT "Jimmy the Italian." He was "Jimmy the Greek!"
Meanwhile! Congratulations with your little CrockBaby == a heartopener love experience.

Kelly said...

Han - don't worry about the birthday thing. You sent us HUGE quantities of baby clothes - that's what I really wanted! I already know about the knee pillow trick - poor James has no room in bed with me anymore - I sleep with a pillow between my knees, one behind my back and a rolled up blanket cradling my belly! Hope you had a blast in Portugal!

Savi - wow! That is so amazing you went to school with Bill Bryson's big sister. What a childhood you all had - Bill really paints a fascinating picture in his books. I was actually introduced to his books by Graham, the paternal grandfather to be (who lives in England). Bill's books are huge in the UK.