Sunday, September 2, 2007

There's only one thing worse than being blogged about, and that's not being blogged about

I've been trying to get Kel to read The Picture of Dorian Gray for a while, but between school, work and extreme cleaning she hasn't had time. It's not that our Dorian is named after Oscar Wilde's character (his name actually comes from the Dorian scale - WHWWWHW for those of you singing along at home) but I'm sure someone, someday, will presume he is and ask us about it. It's good to be prepared. The book is a great read with fast-flying British wit (particularly from the devilish Lord Henry) and themes of hedonism and Faustian pacts. I recommend it to anyone. Anyway, I ordered a DVD of the 1970's BBC adaptation with Sir John Gielgud and Peter Firth to which we both promptly fell asleep. It's a good version (at least the first half is), but it is very hot here at the moment and we had just been for a 4 mile walk. Hopefully we'll finish it tonight and then if anyone asks us if baby Dorian looks so young and cute because there's a picture of an old man in our attic, we'll be able to laugh knowingly.

2 comments:

auntastasia said...

Unique names are cool. Not so much when you are a kid, but when you get older you definitely appreciate it. My father loved Ingrid Bergman in the film about Anastasia, daughter of the Czar of Russia. She was also the daughter that was believed to have survived the murder attempts on the family so when I was younger I used to joke about being the missing daughter. People also like to remind me that one of Cinderella's step sisters was named Anastasia as well. Thanks for sharing the story behind Dorian's name.

Y chromosome provider said...

A few of my musician friends have said that our next child will have to be called Lydia after the Lydian scale. I'm leaning towards Harmonic Minor Crocker.