Thursday, October 11, 2007

Labor probably not imminent!

I am so relieved!!! James and I just returned from the doctor. She checked my cervix and said I am only 1cm dilated and 60% effaced. Dorian's head is at -2 station. You guys can do the research in finding out what all this means if you're interested. All you really need to know is that it means I probably will not go into labor before next week, and even if I do, it should be a slow progression (leaving James time to return home before Dorian arrives). The doctor agreed I should take it easy for the next few days just to ensure we don't promote labor any more (with the walks, activity, etc). She said normally she would have stripped my membranes a bit today, but held off on doing this since we don't want to go into labor now. My cervix stats are also good news because they are far along enough it means Dorian probably won't arrive too much later than his due date either (although anything is possible). We'll pick up our long walks again on Monday when James returns! I feel so much calmer now. Plus, the doctor wrote James a note essentially giving him permission to speed this week-end if he needs to (he would give this note to the officer if pulled over for speeding). We're set! I feel like I can finally breathe again. I was so worried Dori's Daddy might miss the birth!

6 comments:

Momily said...

So the pre-labor discomforts earlier this week weren't without reward. One centimeter, you're 10% of the way there!

I want a doctor's note to get out of speeding tickets... that's totally cool!

Kelly said...

Only 10%??? That sounds really small when you put it that way! Still, I am sooooo happy I am not further along! Our doctor is very cool - I couldn't believe she offered to write a note enabling James to speed. He better not abuse it!

Anonymous said...

Yay Kelly!! Sounds like the timing will be perfect for everyone!! Can't wait to meet Dorian.

auntastasia said...

Good news. It sounds like Dorian is quite comfortable where he is until dad gets home to be there for his birth. You're on the home stretch. Hang on! That's wild about James getting a note for speeding--I love it.

Unknown said...

WHAT?! Okay, it's cool and all to be able to speed, but it doesn't make any sense. First of all, the laws are there to 'protect' people so they shouldn't be able to be legally broken- what's the point of them then? And second someone who is excited about their baby coming into the world is probably not in the best state of mind to be driving really quickly, he will be thinking about the kid, not the road.
Here's what I think: Drivers should be able to take a special test and those who pass can drive faster than those who don't. Then I could legally speed too :)

Kelly said...

Wow! This hit a nerve with you, huh Erika? I know what you mean - what's the point of laws and everything but, hey, if you were given a note from your doctor, wouldn't you use it? You're just jealous you don't have permission to speed! Ha ha.