Tuesday, July 29, 2008

He's communicating!!!

I told you we had a gifted child. Not even 9 and a half months old and he's already talking. A couple times yesterday, Dori crawled over to the door of James' music room, stood up against it, bounced up and down, pounded with his palms and said "Dadadadada." The first time I thought, "Oh, that has to be a coincidence." But the second time? And with more meaning behind the "Dadadadada?" I think Dori really does know what it means and know that when James isn't in the other part of the house, he is usually in that room!

Whenever Dori is really upset or left in his crib, he says "Mum, mum, mum." And both James and I SWEAR he has said "Hello" several times because it was used as a greeting and it sounded like "Allo." With a little British accent, the way James says it. My friend Cindy, a NICU nurse and very experienced "baby person," came over to watch Dori for a bit and said that Dori went into our non-babyproofed bathroom (which he does not normally spend time in), crawled over to the big clawfoot tub and said "Ohhhh, look!"

It's obvious when he wants something now...he kind of grunts/squeals until he gets it. When we're feeding him and he wants more, he makes the noise too. He especially makes the noise when WE'RE eating something. He always wants whatever we're eating, particularly if it's something he's not really supposed to have (cookies, ice cream, etc). Maybe it's time for us to be cutting back on those things too! :)

He really reaches out for people he wants to be with now. He adores my parents. His face lights up when they come into the room. He crawls over to my mom and pulls up on her legs in order to stand up. Dori reaches his arms up, begging to be picked up whenever my dad comes into the room. If he doesn't get picked up, he starts making similar noises to the ones he makes when we're not feeding him quickly enough. Apparently yesterday when I was gone, he screeched when my dad left the room. So cute! It's very sweet to see he has bonded with the rest of our family...for awhile there, it was all about me. While it was wonderful to be his entire world, with nursing school coming up, I'm really glad he's content to be with James and my parents too.

One last thing before I go crack on with some nursing textbook reading...today, I said "Bonk, bonk" when Dorian bumped his head on a cabinet. He said it right back..."Bonk, bonk!!!!" I kid you not. We have a little genius here, we really do. He is so close to walking too. Man, I'm glad I shacked up with James. The best genes ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kelly, you crack me up!! not the part about dori being a genius, i am in full agreeance, but the shacking up with james part. you are too much my friend. love ya!