Friday, August 22, 2008

All change...

From the moment we played our final chord at the Philadelphia Folk Festival I was ready to be home with Kel and Dor. We drove the whole distance in 52 hours (apparently a Tempest record) and arrived in Oakland at 1am. I tried not to, but somehow I managed to wake them both up... OK, so I didn't try too hard; I really wanted a cuddle. I'm not sure whether D remembered me that night, but the next morning he certainly did. We giggled, smiled, chatted, played and laughed all day long, so much so he barely noticed his mum was away at her first day of nursing college. Having been away for a month, I was expecting huge changes in the little guy, particularly in light of all the blog updates recently: first words, stair-climbing etc. Actually he seems very similar to when I'd left and I'm glad; I don't want to miss a thing. The main differences I see are: he squeals/sings much more melodiously and it really seems like he's trying to sing; he laughs at things and situations where before it was just when I blew a raspberry on his stomach (his favourite game at the moment is grabbing my necklace, yanking it and collapsing in hysterics when I nod my head); he crawls much quicker and is a little steadier on his feet when pulling himself up; if he's standing and you hold his hands he 'walks', leading you around. It's a somewhat drunken lurch but I think he'll be walking unaided very soon. Watch this space...; he stares at things and people (particularly other kids) intently. Other than these few developments he's just as he was when I left - the cutest little baby/toddler ever.

So, now that Kel is studying hard I not only get the child-care duties but also I'm in charge of blog updates. I'm probably not going to be as good as Kel, but I do know how to use the camera and video so I'll make sure there's always something interesting to check out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James, thank you for letting me share baby Dorian and Kelly. I loved having them here.........wish you could've been here as well, but next time for sure!
Teri (Jessica's mum)