Sunday, April 5, 2009

Family Day

James' parents arrived last week from England and will be staying with us until April 20th. Dorian remembered them when they got off the plane - he got a really big smile on his face and gave them both big hugs! We were so thrilled about this. He last saw them about 2.5 months ago and he is still just a baby, so it is great that he remembered them.

On Saturday, I had the day off, so Jenny, Graham, Dorian and I accompanied James to one of his gigs. We all had a wonderful day in Bakersfield. (There's a sentence that doesn't get said very often). The weather was perfect - about 75 with crystal clear skies, radiant sunshine and just a very gentle breeze. It was glorious!

The highlights: James and Tempest played well, as usual, and the crowd loved them. It was the first time Jenny and Graham saw James perform live with this band so I was relieved there were no mishaps or broken amps or anything like that. They were very impressed with their son's playing and his rock star moves (as was I, of course). Graham got very sunburnt (he was so red by the end of the day, he literally looked like a lobster) but he was drinking so I don't think he minded. Anyone could tell he was a Brit by the end of the day. He was completely sunburnt, drinking his lager, drooling over fish and chips...Jenny and I watched him sit at a table and hungrily watch a family eat fish and chips for about 10 minutes - it was hilarious! We love you, Graham! Jenny was interviewed by a television station and was soooooo excited about it. You have to remember, they're from a tiny village in England and TV crews don't tend to frequent Bridestowe. As she was telling us about her interview, she talked it down saying, "Oh you know, I am sure it was only a local station." We laughed so hard at that one. (Like a Scottish festival in Bakersfield would have made national news!) We love you, Jen!

Dorian was amazingly happy all day...no temper tantrums, no crying, no crankiness, no tired signs. Just smiles, giggles and running around (of course, the usual story -Dori isn't smiling in any of the photos!). It was a wonderful day. The perfect day. Seriously, it was the best day I've had in ages and reminded me how lucky I am to have the best family in the world (in-laws definitely included).























3 comments:

Steph said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Does he ever do any shows further north in the central valley...say in Sacramento?

Kelly said...

Hey Steph, yes, they do! Check out www.tinyurl.com/tempestmusic

If you'd like to meet up sometime, we'd love to meet you and your brood. Dori and I are going to need some outings when James is on tour soon and we'd love to come up your way - I don't have your email address so email me at kellycrocker@live.com if you're interested!

graham said...

I agree = it was a great day. I didn't realise my lusting after the fish and chips was that obvious! love you too.